Whitest Girl You Know

Translucent ruminations of a very pale girl.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New Dating Habits

The last night I was in NY recently, I had a wonderful evening that began with trekking from Columbia U to Spring St to meet Mike for dinner at La Esquina (I love when he can read my mind when I'm hungry). Mike and I tend to sit next to people on their first date. We like to conjure up uncomfortable conversations that are about STDs or pretend to get into a fight to make them uncomfortable. This time, we sat next to a new sort of phenomenon.

The blind double date. I'm sure they just happened to be chatty folks, but two couples who never met became pals thanks to the cramped quarters. They were taking pics with their Treos and all sorts of gay stuff. I'm sure the better looking couple was into getting high and swinging. They were the worst kind of New Yorkers (who probably live in Murray Hill and come downtown to be "edgy") and had the affect, which is a pretentious dialect that involves drawing out words in a slightly Valley Girl way (i.e. "Doooo you reeeeaaaaallllly think thaaats a Marc baaaaaag?"). They exchanged numbers and were gonna meet up at some loft party in Chelsea. I think Mike almost dry heaved his taco soup.

Has anyone else seen a blind double date? I can't wait until this turns into a story in the Thursday Style section. Remember kids, you heard it here first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home