Whitest Girl You Know

Translucent ruminations of a very pale girl.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Side Note to Boston Fashion

I just read the board on boston.com about "Is Boston a stylish city?" where there was an overwhelming and collective NO. Being somewhat involved in the miniscule fashion world within Boston, I have to say that Boston's style is dictated by retailers and expressed by those who have the charge cards to pay for it.

Recently at an event at Stel's, all the cool girls were rocking various Le Dix bags from Balenciaga. I mentioned to Mike that apparently that's what it takes to be a Boston fashionista and he told me he didn't care. Really, why should he. And no, it wasn't a ploy at getting him to surprise me with one (I've tried before and he suggested that they were over 2 years ago). I'm making a demographical guess that those Le Dix-ers most likely purchased them at the Barney's in Chestnut Hill because there is always a full supply of them (bags and shoppers).

I've always associated New England with prep and those who do it, it works. Businessmen, I get it. It's everything else that goes wrong here. Eurotrash is at its peek, I don't think there are hipsters (except at The Strokes concert) and goddammit where do these kids keep getting UFOs and Kikwears?!? It's rare that I'm impressed by an outfit in Boston. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fucking slob most of the time, especially when I'm working and have to roll around on floors or fluff egg pucks. But there really is a problem here and I'm convinced that this town needs to be re-educated. Anyone agree?

1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Le DICK bags are soooooo pase! really ladies and gents who wear bags -- please --there is so many other great designer bags to spend you money on -- like vintage ferragamo and goyard -- or one of the new up and comers like valextra -- i could go on -vbh---- this is why i am writing a book about personal style -- bc with so many uber chic super stylish choices out all you quasi fashionista's flock to the same god damn thing -- do your homework--because a true fashionista does not follow the trends --she makes them !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home