Whitest Girl You Know

Translucent ruminations of a very pale girl.

Monday, April 09, 2007

The Shiksa Who Saved Passover



...Er, well, just on the second night. And only during Miriam's Cup. For my fellow goyem who don't have the pleasure of dating into a Jewish family, Miriam's Cup is an add-on reading to the Passover Seder. After everyone at the table has had their turn to read out of the Haggadah (or on this particular night's case, hand-outs with uplifting quotes from the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr, who last time I checked, was not Jewish), the woman of the house introduces Miriam's Cup to pay homage to a Jewish woman who has made a difference throughout history. It's usually Golda Meier or a woman of such calliber.

This year, the second night mark's the 10th anniversary of the death of Mike's Nana, his mom's mom. So Miriam's Cup was for her. Mike's mom lost it at some points where her husband would take over and skip every other line and she would yell at him. Seeing how half assed everyone was taking this, I decided to take over the next time she faded off. And I did. So I saved Passover.

Afterwards, I went to the bathroom to cry. When I calmed myself, I came out to see Mike's mom and aunt in the corner crying. So I went up and hugged them and cried some more. I'm such a sap.

P.S. Mike's Nana was hauntingly beautiful and brilliant and best of all...FROM NEW JERSEY! I guess I have a soft spot for that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home